Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Lining up Octagons in Reassembly

Alright, I feel really, really dense now. I finally started playing Reassembly yesterday. Not sure why I waited this long, after all I had a beta key from the Kickstarter campaign. But that's not why I feel dense. (Well, a little maybe...)

For the first 10 hours or so, I could not for the life of me figure out how to design a ship that holds together well as soon as larger octagonal prefabs are involved. I just couldn't figure out how to line them up properly with the more square geometry of the other prefabs.

Oh how many things I tried. I actually thought I had tried everything in the game! As I was about to send the developer a bug report (well, since I know him, I was just going to whine at him on Facebook) I finally realized why there's one prefab that can be rescaled to odd dimensions like "square root of 2" and such:

Squares and Octagons: Check out the Little Rectangles!

Yep, you guessed it! Those are exactly the sizes you need to fit those darn octagons into a rectangular geometry. Oh how badly I beat up myself after I finally figured it out! I have a degree in Math and Computer Science mind you, and it's painful when you realize that instead of thinking about those dimensions in connection to my problem, I spent 10 hours just shrugging them off as "weird choices" by the developer. They're not weird, they're essential! Alright, but now back to playing the darn game!

No comments:

Post a Comment